Are you a nursing student in the US? Do you have the compassion or desire to provide health services to people in areas that lack professional healthcare workers? Are you in need of financial assistance to complete your education? If you answered yes to all three questions, then you might want to apply for the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program in the US.
Applications for the 2023 Nurse Corps Scholarship Program by the US government are now open. This is an opportunity to have your tuition, eligible fees, and other reasonable costs (books, clinical supplies and instruments, and uniforms) provided by the US government. You’ll also receive a monthly stipend that will ensure your comfort throughout your studies.
Read on to learn more about this scholarship offer and how you can qualify for it.
The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program is a program offered by the U.S. government to provide financial support to nursing students in exchange for a commitment to work in underserved communities after graduation. The program is open to U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents who are enrolled in a nursing program at an accredited school in the United States.
As a recipient of the Nurse Corps Scholarship, students receive tuition, fees, and other educational costs, as well as a monthly stipend for living expenses. In exchange, scholarship recipients are required to work as nurses in a designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or a Critical Shortage Facility (CSF) for at least two years after graduation.
The goal of the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program is to increase the number of nurses working in underserved communities, where access to healthcare is limited. By providing financial support to nursing students who commit to working in these areas, the program aims to improve access to care and health outcomes for underserved populations.
Check out these scholarship programs:
- University of Iowa Scholarships for International Students
- Yale University Scholarships for International Students, 2023 (Fully Funded)
- Study a Bachelor’s in the USA Scholarship for International Students 2023
- Treasure Transfer Scholarship for International Students, 2023-24
- Scholarship Worth
The scholarship covers your full tuition, fees, and educational costs and also provides you a monthly stipend of $1,527 throughout your studies.
To qualify for the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen (born or naturalized), a national, or a lawful permanent resident
- Be an accredited or enrolled student in a nursing degree program at a United States accredited school of nursing
- Begin classes no later than September 30, 2023
- Not have any federal judgment liens
- Not have any existing service commitment
- Not be overdue on a federal debt
To apply for the scholarship, you must:
- Read the Application Program Guidance
- Login or create an account on the Nurse Corps Scholarship section of the Bureau Health Workforce (BHW) Customer Service Portal
- Provide the required documents
- Submit your application
You’re encouraged to submit all supporting documents in PDF format to expedite the processing of your application.
You’re also required to keep a copy of your application package for records purposes.
The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program application requires an online application (as stated above), the submission of supporting documentation, and additional supporting documentation (if applicable).
Here are the essential requirements (for the three application requirement sessions) for the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program:
- Previous educational certifications
- An academic recommendation letter
- A non-academic recommendation letter
- Official Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Completed Verification of Acceptance/Enrollment application form
- Academic transcript
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Completed essay question
- Current tuition and fee schedule
- Proof of status as a U.S. citizen or U.S. National (U.S. birth certificate, state-issued enhanced driver’s license (EDL), an unexpired U.S. passport ID page or U.S. passport card, a certificate of citizenship, a naturalization certificate, or front and back of an unexpired permanent resident card (Green Card))
- A self-certification document (certifying the accuracy, truthfulness and completeness of the information entered in the online application
The application deadline for the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program is May 4, 2023.
To learn more about the scholarship, click here.
Conclusion – the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program is an opportunity for you to acquire your long-desired nursing degree at no cost. You’ll also get the opportunity to acquire the necessary practical experience after graduation for at least two years before going further in your career.